Monday, February 3, 2014

The Seeking Daddy Project Day 3: The Pico de Gallo Incident

Yesterday, my boyfriend and I went to Applebee's because, though I have zero interest in football, I still wanted my favorite food indulgence ever in honor of the big game:  boneless buffalo wings.  We tucked in: me with my wings and a side of broccoli (because health! Green veggies!  Ahem.), him with a plate of their fiesta lime chicken, which is a grilled chicken breast topped with cheese on a bed of southwestern-spiced rice and a side of pico de gallo.



My boyfriend doesn't like pico de gallo, so he set the little cup of it aside as he ate.  When it came time to leave, we both had food left over to bring home...and I love pico de gallo, so I wanted to bring it home with me.  I asked the waiter for a little cup to put it in along with the boxes.

Well...the waiter brought two boxes, a new cup of bleu cheese dip for my wings, and...another cup of pico de gallo with a lid.

I was distressed.

"But I wanted to take THAT pico home!" I whined.

"Why are you upset?" my boyfriend asked.  "He brought you some!"

"Yeah, but now that one is going to go to waste!"

"...so?"

I suppose this was a perfectly logical question to most people, but to me - the girl who buys tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and jalapenos and spends time chopping up everything and mixing it to make her own pico to put on grilled chicken and tilapia - it was such a waste.

"So I don't want to waste it!  I can use that!  I wanted him to bring me a little cup to put that in!"

"Just take the one he brought you.  It's fine," he reasoned.

"I'm going to ask him to bring me another little cup!" I said.

My boyfriend looked at me as if to say, "Seriously?"

"...what?!"

I didn't ask.  Much to my chagrin, I took the cup he gave me already filled with pico and left a perfectly good heaping tablespoon full sitting there to be thrown away.

Sigh.

At least when I felt connected to God, I felt like someone understood me all the time, even though it may have been in my imagination...just so I could justify asking for another little cup to bring home the pico de gallo.

No comments:

Post a Comment