Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Seeking Daddy Project Day 19: I am worth more.

"That's why I love sales," my manager said, leaning over the little wall of my cubicle and grinning slightly, the way he does when he's sharing a truism.  "To do a job like this, you have to have yourself together.  You have to be self-assured enough - you have to have a sense of your own value and know your own worth and be secure in that - to do it well."

As I've mentioned, my manager is a smart guy.  We seem to have a strength of communication and exchange of ideas, he and I.  Even so, in that moment, I froze inside.  I nodded in agreement as he kept talking, waxing philosophical as he often does...but inside, my mind was racing.

You have to have a sense of your own value. You have to know your own worth.

If we had stayed together, today would have been my two-year anniversary with my ex-boyfriend.

There was never really a time, from the Friday evening we met at the beginning of October 2011, that we weren't dating, but he hemmed and hawed at making it official for four months - probably, again, out of fear.

I'd been thinking about that today, off and on.  During the busy bustle of the office, amidst phone conversations and notes and emails and tasks, whenever I took a moment to pause, to breathe - the date swirled around me.  Memories pulled off their cloaks like dusty statues and showed their faces again.

Know your own value.  Know your own worth.

I remembered that, shortly following our breakup, he checked a dating site in my living room as I made him breakfast the morning after I helped him pack his late father's truck so he could move three hours away.

I remembered that he spent my 30th birthday party three months later texting with another woman.

I remembered that he didn't even bother to call the weekend before my best friend - and one of his very good friends, as well - went to prison for seven years.

Know your own value.  Know your own worth.

I remembered all those things, and I've come to a conclusion.

I am worth more.

No comments:

Post a Comment