Thursday, February 20, 2014

The Seeking Daddy Project Day 20: Seeing more clearly.

“Wow, these are old,” my optometrist said, peering skeptically at the box of contacts I had brought in for my contact lens fitting.  “We can definitely get you a way better fit than these.”

It’s a pleasant fact of my current existence that I have, quite inadvertently, surrounded myself with dreamboat men to help me get through the mundane trivialities of adult life.  After more than a decade of suffering through a painfully awkward teenage experience and a bumbling early young adulthood, I can somehow now banter easily with men who even a few years ago I’d have been too shy to speak to at all.   My massage therapist is one; my eye doctor is another. The feeling I get when I inevitably deliver some deadpan one-liner that leaves them helpless with laughter is immensely gratifying, let me tell you.  It’s like a sigh of relief after years of holding my breath.

My optometrist is a strapping young man who hails from the same area as my hometown in Pennsylvania.  At my first appointment a few months ago, right after he walked in and shook my hand, I declared, “So bad news: I think I scared your assistant because I’m practically blind.”  He took to me immediately.

“I’m surprised they would even refill this prescription for you after so long,” he mused, shaking his head as he stared in disbelief at the contacts I used.  “I guess because you’re, uh…nice…they figured it was okay.  I definitely wouldn’t have refilled a prescription after four years!”

I tried to look innocent.  “Uh, yeah, about that, so…I really hate the air puff test, so, uh...I just used the same prescription.  It reminds me of dodge-ball in elementary school.”

He chuckled as he updated my file in a tablet-like device that made me feel like we were in Sick Bay on the star ship Enterprise.  “Well, these will be a huge improvement.  They’re much more breathable and comfortable.”

After a few more questions and mournful wails from me when he said my eyes are probably too bad to undergo Lasik, he walked me out to the receptionist where I proceeded to spend half a month’s rent on the exam fee and a year’s supply of these new lenses he recommended.  The chipper girl at the desk put in an order for them to be delivered to my house.  Presumably, for the first time in four years, I’d be able to see more clearly.

Seven business days later, they arrived at my house, and this morning, I pulled back the little foil lid that always makes you feel like you’re opening a tiny present and shoved them into my eyes excitedly.

I’ve been walking around in them all day, and honestly, unless I think about it, I can’t really tell much difference so far.  I haven’t noticed my eyes getting dry as much as usual, even though I was at work a whole hour later than normal today.  And, if I really stop to focus, I can tell my vision is sharper – but it all kind of blends together, really.

Maybe that’s what seeing more clearly is all about – it’s minute, gradual, and not really earth-shattering when it finally happens.  Just one day, you wake up and put on slightly better lenses.

But that tiny little improvement, well, it makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment