Thursday, February 27, 2014

The Seeking Daddy Project Day 27: Apologies.

This week's been rough, y'all. This whole month has, really. And I haven't been handling it well. I've been whiny and petulant and needy and angsty and temperamental. I've complained more than I've comforted, by far. I've gossiped where I should have been graceful. I've responded with consternation instead of with consideration. I've been selfish. And I'm ashamed.

I was at a Rob Thomas concert a few years ago, back when his last solo album came out. Before he sang "Little Wonders," he told us his dog had actually inspired the song. 

"I was feeling all depressed and annoyed at the time, I remember," he said, "But when I got the leash to take my dog on a walk, he was so happy he could hardly stand it. We walked all around and he sniffed everything and had to check everything out and he was just so damn joyful just to be walking with me. And I thought, I am such an asshole. I came home and wrote this song."

I've been working long hours this week, getting home later than normal and collapsing. I haven't been playing with Lottie or paying attention to her as much as usual. Tonight, tired of sitting around all week, I asked her, "Sweetheart, do you want to go on a walk?"

She got so excited that she started darting back and forth and all around the house the way she does when she just can't contain herself with glee. As I was strapping on her harness (which took three tries because she kept wiggling out of my grasp in her happiness), I remembered Rob's story. And in that moment, I felt humbled. I am such an asshole.

Please forgive me. That's all I can really ask. 

No comments:

Post a Comment