Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Seeking Daddy Project Day 25: Come on, PURR!

“Purr!!  Come on, PURR, you little mutt!”

My boyfriend Tate loves cats.  Unfortunately, we’re both allergic to them, but alternately he is slowly warming up to my Lottie.   Up until now, he hasn’t been her biggest fan because by virtue of her size, her bark is high-pitched and hurts his ears; plus, I’m guilty of spoiling her just a bit.  I think it’s more that he’s had to come to terms with the fact that he’s dating a single mom than anything else, really.

Everyone loves Lottie eventually, though.  She’s just that amazing.

Sunday afternoon, as we were on the couch catching up on the show we watch together, “Almost Human,” Lottie snuggled between us and rolled over onto her back so he could rub her belly.  I watched this moment play out in delight, struggling to conceal my happiness that he was finally taking to her.

Tate petted Lottie absentmindedly for awhile; then, during a commercial, he seemed to take more notice.  “Come on, purr!”

The thing is...toy poodles don’t purr.

Not wanting him to be disappointed, and relishing in this heretofore unseen moment of affection between them (Lottie snuggles up against him regularly, not understanding the concept of a person who doesn’t like her because it’s literally never happened before, but he’s taken a bit longer to come around), I tried to produce a guttural, purring sound in the back of my throat.  It sounded more like I was choking on a hairball.

“Purrrrrhrhghghghrrrrrrr,” I growled.

Tate looked at me in surprise. I immediately stopped and made my eyes super wide.  “Oh my gosh, she’s PURRING!”

He burst into laughter.

“You sound like you’re hocking something up!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.  She was purring!”

“You’re a goober,” he said, shaking his head.

He continued petting her and I continued to try to make purring sounds, to little avail.  Eventually I had to stop because, well, phlegm.

After Tate left, I was thinking about closely that relates to our relationship with God at times.  We want to hear from God.  We want a neon sign from Heaven.  We want direction, or clarity, or blessings, or answers.  We want purring.

Come on, God, purr!

But sometimes God doesn’t purr.  Sometimes God is like a little toy poodle who just snuggles up against us and shows us His love that way.

And shouldn’t that be enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment