Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Seeking Daddy Project Day 56: O Captain, our Captain.

He was a genius.

If you were to ask me what I thought of Robin Williams, today, yesterday, and any day before that, my response would have been the same. He's a genius.

There's not really much else to say but that. He was a genius, and his death is a terrible, heartrending tragedy.

I've often both esteemed and envied Robin Williams: envied his obvious brilliance, talent, and wit. His stand-up is hilarious and inspired. His impressions are scintillating. "Dead Poet's Society" is one of the main reasons I became an English major. His acting is at once deeply, cathartically funny and just as deeply, transcendentally poignant.

The world has lost a singular talent and an incredible man. We will be the worse for his loss.

I've ridden a wave of emotions all throughout the day thinking about it. Celebrity deaths often affect me because of their suddenness, but this one has even more so.

I myself have felt - in perhaps minuscule amounts in comparison - what it feels like: flying on the highest highs, then bottoming out to the lowest lows. Three distinct seasons in my life thus far, three seasons I remember viscerally - one as recent as two years ago - have left me at a place where I wanted nothing more than to end my life as well.

It is by the grace of God that I didn't.

A coworker and I were talking today about Mr. Williams, and his summation was, "He needed Jesus." I had to agree. He needed Jesus because he needed healing. He needed grace. He needed the unconditional love and peace that only our Father can give.

Later on in the day, another coworker said, "I wonder...I wonder if he could have seen all the grief, the love, the adoration and mourning that is being poured out for him...would it have made a difference?"

All I can say is, I hope that he has found Jesus now and is resting in His loving embrace.

Mr. Robin Williams, the world will be a gloomier place without you. Rest in peace, O Captain, our Captain.

No comments:

Post a Comment